Mike Dodson joined the firm ‘Of Counsel’ in 2013, and became a partner in 2015. He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell, with over thirty years of litigation experience, licensed to practice law in both Texas and Louisiana. He is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in both Personal Injury Law and Civil Trial Law. Since 2006, he has been recognized in Texas Monthly Magazine and Law & Politics by Texas Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters service, in the fields of Civil Litigation Defense, Personal Injury Defense and Business Litigation. Mike Dodson has tried in excess of 130 jury trials as lead counsel, trying cases in both state and federal courts. He has significant appellate experience, with over 15 published opinions and numerous unpublished opinions. He was the 2016 recipient of the St. Thomas More Award for service to the community.
- Successful defense of numerous complex motor vehicle, industrial and construction accident cases, including lawsuits with related venue appeals and mandamus issues, and cases involving cross-jurisdictional issues between Texas and Louisiana.
- Successful defense verdict in Hurricane Ike trial against insurance carrier in Orange County, Texas.
- Successful representation of surviving minor child in oilfield electrocution wrongful death case in Rusk County, Texas, together with related Freedom of Information Act lawsuit in Eastern District of Texas to secure incriminating statements from OSHA investigation.
- Successful defense verdict in premise liability trial involving East Texas golf resort in Jasper County, Texas.
- Successful representation of insurance carrier in Hurricane Rita Case, dismissed due to fraud of claimant in manufacturing receipts for additional living expenses, and submitted same to insurance carrier for reimbursement.
- Substantial trial and case handling experience in multiple silica cases, with one resulting in the significant Texas Supreme Court decision involving the sophisticated user defense in Humble Sand & Gravel, Inc. v. Gomez, 146 S.W.3d 170 (Tex. 2004), which has been cited by numerous courts around the country.
- Successful representation of commercial borrower in complex lender liability case in U.S. District Court in Beaumont, Texas, which featured complex electronic discovery issues, leading to sanctions against commercial lender for withholding and erasing incrimination emails from hard drives of computers.
- Successful representation of cooperative association of blueberry farmers in Angelina County, Texas, against refrigeration facility for negligence in failing to blast freeze blueberry products according to contract.
- Successful defense verdict in Jefferson County, Texas, for manufacturer of garbage truck compacting unit in design defect case, where plaintiff sustained seriously disabling injuries to both hands when they became entangled in compacting unit.
- Successful defense verdict in Jefferson County, Texas, for general contractor in wrongful death case in which elderly patient at hospital died seven hours after a heavy storage cabinet fell on top of her.
- National coordinating counsel for silica sand supplier and has personally defended silica cases as lead counsel in cases in Texas, Arkansas and Missouri.
- Has presented papers and spoken at numerous seminars across the country with regard to the silica litigation, primarily speaking on the general topics of the duty to warn and the sophisticated user defense.
- Lamar University, BA Government, Highest Honors 1979
- University of Houston School of Law, JD 1981
- University of Houston Law Review, Research Staff Editor
Court Admissions and Affiliations
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Louisiana
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals , Fifth Circuit
- United States District Court for Eastern, Western, Northern and Southern Districts of Texas and the Western District of Louisiana
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Law; Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified Civil Trial Law; Texas Board of Legal Specialization